UPDATE: Armed Man Barricades Himself in Beer Vendor

Manitoba Post StaffNews

UPDATE: Police now believe that the suspect in the story below is also responsible for several other incidents earlier in the day.

– At approximately 7:30 a.m., a male suspect attended a gas station on McPhillips Street. After fuelling his vehicle, he grabbed some products and demanded the employee give him money, indicating he had a weapon. He then fled the business with the stolen products.

– At approximately 2:35 p.m., a male suspect attended a restaurant on Portage Avenue. After ordering a meal, the male demanded an employee give him money. He then fled the business with an undisclosed amount of money.

– At approximately 3:00 p.m., responding officers to the restaurant robbery observed the suspect driving a station wagon in the area of Portage Avenue and Woodhaven Boulevard. The suspect began to drive erratically and a pursuit was initiated but was aborted a short time later.

– At approximately 3:10 p.m., a male suspect, driving the vehicle that had fled from officers, stopped in traffic while in the 100 block of Marion Street. The male exited and approached a 61-year-old male driver in traffic and carjacked him of his truck at knifepoint.

33 year-old Alexander Branislav Jovanovich of Winnipeg has been charged with:

– Flight while Pursued by Peace Officer

– Dangerous Operation of Motor Vehicle (x2)

– Robbery (x3)

– Possession of a Weapon (x3)

– Theft Under $5000

– Fail to Comply with Probation Order (x4)

He was detained in custody.

It took police almost four hours to safely remove an armed man from a beer vendor yesterday afternoon. (October 25)

At about 3:40pm a man armed with a knife entered a beer vendor on Plaza Drive near Pembina Highway. He locked several employees inside but they were quickly able to escape the building.

When police first arrived the suspect was barricaded inside the beer vendor. The Tactical Support Team, Crisis Negotiators and K9 units all provided assistance and they made contact and began to work towards a resolution.

At approximately 7:20 p.m., a less lethal weapon was used to safely take the man into custody. The male has since been transported to hospital for precautionary reasons and will be facing charges.